Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute 10J/12J/14/20 Aged Vintage Natural Japan 1st Generation Gold Badge
Birch wood has a lower fundamental tone and shorter sustain than maple wood. You would no doubt hear the difference in pitch if you were to tap the shell of a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute and then tap the same sized shell of a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. What this means to drummers is that you can naturally tune the heads of a birch drum shell to a lower register than that of a maple drum shell while maintaining maximum resonance. For you drummers who dig a darker sound, birch is the way to go.
The traditional depth of the 10”x7.5” and 12”x8” rack toms provides the shortest sustain of any of the Yamaha Custom Absolute offerings. This depth makes playing these Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums very fast- they speak and die quickly.
These Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau drums were also made in Japan by the skilled craftsmen and craftswomen of the Sakae Rhythm Company which manufactured all Yamaha drums for 30 years prior to 2013 when Yamaha moved their entire production capabilities to China. As most experienced drummers will tell you, this has a profound impact on the drums’ residual value and yet a brand-new, made in China Yamaha Maple Absolute Hybrid drum set in this similarly sized configuration has a minimum advertised price of $3,199.99 from online and in-store music dealers.
Drum set highlights:
- Manufacturer: Yamaha
- Model Name: Birch Custom Absolute, 1st generation (1000 series)
- Model Numbers: BTT1010J, BTT1012J, BTT1014, BBD1020
- Shell Construction: 6 ply-toms, 7 ply-bass
- Shell Material: Hokkaido Birch
- Tom Tom Mounting System: Yamaha Enhanced Sustain System (Y.E.S.S.)
- Sizes: 10x7.5, 12x8, 14x12, 20x16
- Country of manufacture: Japan
- Finish: Aged vintage natural
- Rims: 2.3mm Yamaha DynaHoops
- Condition: Used, Like New